We the undersigned, as followers of Jesus, wish to register our support for the Occupy movement which seeks a fairer distribution of wealth, and a more participatory political system.
We note in particular the following Biblical themes, which are consistent with the aims and means of the Occupy movement:
- The prophets’ concern with those who are rich at the expense of the poor and the Earth.
- That all are loved by and made in the image of God and therefore all have something to contribute to the common good.
- That we follow a God who became human and “pitched his tent among us” (John 1:14)
- Jesus’ concern for the poor and the oppressed
- Jesus’ condemnation of those who used their privilege to oppress others.
- The focus of the early church on sharing their possessions equitably.
We affirm the commitment to nonviolence made by the Occupy movement and encourage other Christians to be actively involved in the movement.
Christianity is often associated with wealth and power. However the vast majority of Christians are part of the 99%. We believe our tradition should not be used to support inequality.
Jesus called to Zaccheus to share his riches and stop profiteering from his place of power. In the same spirit, we call on those with power and wealth to also ‘come down’ from your tree, and share with the 99%.
We encourage people from a wide variety of theological and denominational traditions to share their thoughts on the section of this website.
If you identify as a Christian who supports the Occupy movement, please submit your name and city in the comments section below.